Sunday, August 30, 2009

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...

When will Green Day just shut the fuck up? Hearing a 15 second clip of "21 Guns" officially ruined my day. And it's only 11:00 am. On a happier note, my step dad just made some bomb ass vegetarian breakfast burritos...and I never use fratty phrases like "bomb ass" so you know it was good.

So why buffalo? I get this question a lot so I thought I would take this opportunity to elaborate on my love for this drooling mammal. I will start with the totem pole theory. Everyone has a totem pole, you know, like a spiritual hierarchy of things you feel connected to. Buffalo are my totem pole animal. In the past few years I have had some strange coincidences with buffalo. It's like my good luck charm. For example; the other day at work I went to the break room to heat up my soy chorizo only to find that someone stole it out of the fridge (someday soon I am going to post a picture of our fridge at work...people actually carry their lunch in luggage...it's bizarre). Anyway, right when I was about to track down this tofu thief I looked down and there it was...a necklace pendant with a buffalo on it. Fate. Things like this happen to me all the time. Over the past year I have collected buffalo memorabilia that I've stumbled upon accidentally.

Besides the fact that buffalo are freakin' cute and cuddly, they are also considered to be very spiritual animals. Just Google "buffalo totem meaning" and you can read about the different beliefs associated with them. Buffalo represent strength, selflessness, sacrifice, wisdom and patience. The buffalo bring people confidence to achieve their life goals, and it is said that buffalo come to those who are going on the right path in life. Yeah sure, it may sound cheesy and maybe I'm slightly delusional, but it brings meaning to me. There are some days when I feel a little lost and confused (yes, I know I'm a natural blonde so the "confused" part is just in my blood) but it's affirming to me to know that at the end of the day...Mr. Buffalo's there to let me know I'm doin' alright.

So that's it. The meaning behind the buffalo obsession. One day I want to ride a buffalo. Preferably off into the sunset with a rainbow somewhere in there, amongst centaurs playing wooden flutes and owls flying overhead (owl are another totem animal but I will save that for another day).

Below is a photo of buffalo falling off a cliff. Quite tragic really...but a powerful photo none the less.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment