Monday, September 14, 2009

have a heart.

My brain hurts. Today was kind of a crappy Monday. Work was busy and I felt like I needed to be in ten different places all at once. I feel like I don't have the time to finish everything I start. Right when I sat down to write a progress note, someone needed a crisis appointment. Right when my client came in for his service plan appointment, someone needed their medication called in at the pharmacy. I know you're not supposed to take your work home with you...but it's hard not to do when you're a social worker. I truly love helping people; which is why I chose this career path. But, it's so hard to not feel guilty if you can't get everything done in your 8 hour work day. People are waiting on you to get them into a rehab center, to get their medication, a new doctor appointment, call you crying because they can't make their electric bill. Some days it can be really overwhelming. How could I not think about all the things I need to do tomorrow knowing that people are waiting on me? Professionals in behavioral health always say not to feel guilty for what you can't accomplish; if you take it too personal you're on the road to social work burn-out. So far I've lasted one year and I still love my job.

I could not ask for more amazing co-workers. I truly love everyone on my team. We all really pull together when one of us is having a shitty day or needs help. I realize I can be a little high-strung sometimes (something I'm working on) and I appreciate everyone for putting up with my panicked moments. There is a really good energy about the people I work with and I have to say I feel very lucky to be a part of the team. Not to sound cliche, but they are really my second family. I can always count on someone to send me a silly email, leave my favorite doughnut on my desk, or accompany me on a much needed Kombucha run. Small acts of kindness like these brighten some one's day more than you may realize.

The same goes for my clients. Giving someone a bus pass home, or picking up a food box for a hungry family may not seem like such a big deal, but when you see the gratitude on people's faces...it's what really makes my job worthwhile. Sure, not all stories are happy endings, but when you feel appreciated at least once throughout the day, it's a good feeling. I remember when I started my job and got my first hug from a client. It was from a woman who lost her best friend to cancer that day and she needed someone to talk to. By the end of our conversation she thanked me and gave me a big hug. It was really cool. Sometimes a simple thing like listening can really make a big difference in some one's day.

Anyway...not to get all mushy/gushy on you. Just wanted to remind people to be kind to one another. That's all.




No comments:

Post a Comment