Saturday, September 5, 2009

"Think of all the fun you had. The finest line divides a night well spent from a waste of time."

There's something about teenage pop-punk that just makes me optimistic. Boys singing with their whiny voices, acoustic guitar, lyrics about growing up and falling for the girl next door. I guess it takes me back to when I was a teenager; listening to songs about young love, making promises, all that corny fairytale shit you realize is a joke when you're older. Sort of makes me want to dig out my old studded belt, dye my hair three different shades, apply a massive amount of eyeliner and watch boys at the skate park. Oh those were the days. Still...all pessimism aside...reminiscing and playing make-believe is still fun sometimes. Which is why today I started my morning off with Acceptance, Anberlin, Cartel and Jimmy Eat World. Instant auditory optimism.

So here I am, sittin' here sippin' on my coffee and regressing back into my carefree adolescence. Although I'm going backwards down memory lane, I feel like I'm finally growing up. These past few weeks have consisted of a lot of self-reflection. I'm all about "turning a new leaf", a revelation, epiphany, whatever the hell you want to call it...I'm there. I've made a conscious decision to put my crazy party days and irresponsibility to rest. My friends and family know I've done some out of control partying and have enough insane stories to write a small book. I've had a lot of good times, and a lot of shitty times. I'm almost 25...time to get my priorities straight. Don't get me wrong, I'm always down to go out and have a good time, but it's time for me to take it down a few decibels. The bar scene is almost always a guaranteed let down anyway. Especially with the college kids back in town. I know I look like I'm 18 but I'm feelin' like an old lady 'round these kids.

Anyway. I'm still goofy, immature at times and completely awkward. I'm not morphing into some serious adult type so don't worry. It's just that I'm finally realizing what I want. I'm done wasting my time on meaninglessness. My early 20's were filled with way too much game playing. I'm ready for something new.

Man, this pop-punk has got me in a cheesy, mushy/romantic mood all the sudden. My apologies for the elated idealism. Fear not, I will soon return from my early 2000's flashback with cynicism in full force. Kitchy lyrics and simple melodies are only tolerable for so long. If I start rocking out to Taking Back Sunday and The Starting Line on a daily basis...someone please knock some sense into me.

P.S. I've totally rediscovered my crush on Jason Vena. Is it horribly tragic that I currently think "So Contagious" is the greatest love anthem of all time? Sort of makes me want to break out my studded belt. Okay...no.





No comments:

Post a Comment